– 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
– 1 tablespoon fish sauce
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– ¼ teaspoon sea salt
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 pound medium uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
– ½ cup chopped onion
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 cups chopped asparagus
– 2 cups chopped mushrooms
– 2 cups cooked rice
– ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add shrimp and cook until pink, about 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet; cook 2 minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Add asparagus and mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, until slightly browned. Return cooked shrimp back to skillet and add coconut milk mixture; bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice and topped with fresh cilantro.
Because of the abundance of vegetables in this dish, few sides are necessary to complete the meal. Serve it over rice and with a glass of dry, fruity white wine to complement the delicate flavors of the sauce.