– 10 uncooked jumbo shrimp, unshelled, deveined
– Water, for boiling
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ¼ cup vinegar
– 2 cups cooked sushi rice
– 2-3 teaspoons Wasabi horseradish sauce
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Using long toothpicks, skewer each shrimp from head to tail. Place in boiling water for 3 minutes, until pink, then transfer to bowl of ice water.
- When cooled, remove the shell and skewers from shrimp.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup water with vinegar; moisten hands in this mixture. Using hands, scoop 2 tablespoons of rice and form into a rectangular block about 2-inches long with rounded edges and sides.
- Spread ¼ teaspoon of wasabi over the top of each shrimp. Place the shaped rice on top of the wasabi and press gently. Press into the shrimp, but make sure it holds its shape.
Crisp and light sushi is best served with equally light sides, such as a seaweed salad, bed of steamed greens, and broiled fish fillet. Choose your favorite light red or white wine for this elegant meal.